Pensamentos líquidos 122

II. The Olympics: Rio 2016, the ugly side

We have all heard about the Olympics’ curse: countries invest millions in infrastructures that later down the years are rubbish in ghost areas. Despite the theories of creative destruction, my take is that this is not intertemporally beneficial for the countries that organise the Olympics. But I do think it could be different. I fear it may not be different in Brazil, though. But I hope I am wrong.
Nevertheless, I would like to focus this post on what I disliked about this Olympics and that goes beyond the tardiness in the preparations and the unfortunate Olympics curse. The two sides of ugly: some spectators and a few athletes.
First, I want to talk about the spectators. I loathed the behaviour of some spectators.
For those spectators that booed athletes, that were noisy when silence was paramount, that misbehaved when others were trying to perform at the highest level, after years and years of effort and sacrifice, let me tell you bluntly: it is NOT ok! And do not disguise that foul behaviour in cultural clothes. It is simply not ok!
Do you know how it is to get up at 5 in the morning to do your first workout in the early morning, to then attend classes, to be in pain for months in a row because your muscles are torn with stress injuries, to undergo surgeries because those stress injuries took the best out of you, and to come back, with a lot of pain and sacrifice, and to do gym work in the afternoon and to study when you get home because, after all, you’re also a student, or a working woman or man? Do you know? Do you even care? Do you have any idea of the pain these athletes go through? Do you have any idea of the effort they have to put in to be competitive? Yes, the most famous get quite some money out of it, but most of them are not famous, most of them need to work on alternative careers for when their sports career is over. Do you have any idea? No, you just seem to think it is ok to mock their effort. So, this means nothing to you, I’m sure, but I have no respect for you as spectators and that undignified behaviour is something people will remember Rio 2016 for. I hope you are happy about that.
Second, I want to talk about a few athletes. Unfortunately, some sportsmen behaved equally bad. I fully understand the need to unwind after so much pressure, but some things are just not ok. And violence is not ok. From vandalism to attempted rapes: you should be better than that. Of course, athletes can also be bad people, and some are. Again, it is NOT ok! And again, you deserve no respect for those actions.

Sem comentários: